I have a 1987 Chris Craft 41′ Constellation.
I want to eliminate what is there now for the charging system and install a smart battery switch system from your partners at EzAcDc.
I would like your help in configuring the best solution.
The boat has twin engines with 105 amp alternators on each motor and a starter battery for each. There is also a generator with its own battery and two very large house batteries. So in total there are 5 batteries.
The boat has a marine battery charger with multiple charge outlets, an inverter and also a bow thruster.
Can you suggest a system for my boat using smart marine battery switch technology or what you believe would be my best alternative to set this system up?
A good solution for your marine electrical system would be to use two of our Hours More Power – Smart Battery Switch Kits between your engine batteries and your house battery bank. You will also want to add a VSR between your generator battery and your house battery bank combined with an ON/OFF battery switch.
Under normal operation:
- Turn both of your engine battery switches on.
- When the engines charge that batteries up to 13.7 volts, they will automatically start charging your house bank.
- When the house bank reaches 13.7 volts, the VSR between the house battery and generator battery will connect to allow the generator battery to charge.
When you turn your engines off:
- The house batteries will remain connected to the engine batteries until the voltage drops below 12.8 volts. At that point, the VSRs will open up and keep you from draining your engine batteries. The same will happen with your generator battery.
In the event of a dead starting battery:
- Simply rotate the dead engine’s battery switch to “Plus”. This will mechanically parallel that engine battery to the house to allow the engine to start.
In the event that your generator battery is dead:
- Either turn ON the battery switch connected between the generator battery and house battery to mechanically parallel them, or start up one of your engines.
Please let me know if this sounds like a system you would be interested in – and if you have any other questions. Also, both EzAcDc and our other retail site, Boat Wiring Store offer any custom boat battery cables that you may need to complete this system.